Spring steel：is a special alloy steel for manufacturing elastic elements.
- High yield strength;
- No permanent deformation under the heavy loading;
- High fatigue resistance and long service life under repeated loading;
- Have enough toughness and plasticity to prevent sudden brittle fracture under the action of impact force.
Spring steel could be divided into two categories: Carbon spring steel and Alloy spring steel.
Carbon spring steel is the spring steel which contains 0.62%-0.9% carbon.
Alloy spring steel is the carbon steel which adds one or several alloying elements to improve the mechanical properties of steel.
- Hot rolling uses large pieces of metal, such as slabs or steel billets, and heats them above their recrystallization temperature. The metal pieces are then deformed between rollers creating thin cross sections. These cross sections are thinner than those formed by cold rolling processes with the same number of stages. Hot rolling also reduces the average grain size of metal but maintains an equiaxed microstructure. Hot-rolled steel includes hot rolled round steel, square steel, flat steel, steel plate, forged round steel and square steel.
- Cold rolling is a process which passes metal through rollers at temperatures below its recrystallization temperatures. This increases theyield strength and hardness of the metal. This is done by introducing defects into the crystal structure of the metal creating a hardened microstructure which prevents further slip. Cold-rolled steel includes steel wire, steel strip, etc.
Both hot rolling and cold rolling are used to create sheet metal. However, cold rolling produces thinner sheets. Hot rolling is also commonly used to create railroad rails, and cold rolling is often used to make beverage cans.
PS: Rolling is a fabricating process in which metal is passed through a pair of rolls. Rolling has 2 main classifications. Flat rolling, in which the product is typically a sheet, or profile rolling, in which the product is typically a rod or bar. Rolling is also classified according to the recrystallization temperature of the metal.
Spring steel is only a material, its shape decides the degree of elasticity.
The shape of atomic arrangement determines the mechanical properties of materials and the essence of metals.
An example of furniture made of spring steel:
- Author: Xia Zhengnong, Chen Zhili. 《Da Ci Hai: materials and science volume》, published by Shanghai Dictionary Publishing House on December, 2015.
- HOT AND COLD ROLLING EXPLAINED by Capital Steel & Wire INC. https://www.capitalsteel.net/news/blog/hot-and-cold-rolling-explained#:~:text=Cold%20Rolling.%20Cold%20rolling%20is%20a%20process%20which,creating%20a%20hardened%20microstructure%20which%20prevents%20further%20slip.
- Set of Four Art Deco Steel Spring Rocker Side Chairs, circa 1930. https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/building-garden/garden-furniture/set-of-four-art-deco-steel-spring-rocker-side-chairs-circa-1930/id-f_840315/